Please note, regular poetry and prose are temporarily closed. Please check back mid-August. The categories below are open.
We can't wait to see your masterpiece! We're looking for writing and art that is unexpected, striking, and moving. We accept short fiction, creative nonfiction, poetry, art, and graphic fiction from debut and emerging writers and artists worldwide.
There is no fee to submit. Submit works not published elsewhere. We accept simultaneous submissions, but if your work is accepted elsewhere, please withdraw your submission via Submittable. We currently do NOT accept submissions from creators under 18 except for our Teen Summer Writing and Home Library Blog series. When you sign up for Submittable, enter your name as you'd like it to appear if published.
Want to show off your home library and write about the books you turn to during tough times? We invite you to write a short essay or poem for 805's “My Home Library” blog that features people enjoying their home libraries during the Covid-19 pandemic. We hope this blog series will help people show off their home libraries, find comfort in books, and feel a connection to the library during this difficult time.
· Your home library is not limited to books- you can write about your movies, albums, video games, or your virtual library on your e-reader.
· Please include 1-5 photos of your library including close-ups of books.
· Essays can be up to 400 words. Poems can be any length and style.
Writer’s Block? Write about:
· Your favorite book covers
· Your favorite lines from a book
· You favorite book in a series and why
· Books you received as gifts
· Books you keep meaning to read but never do
· Books that helped you during a tough time in your life
· What you’re reading now as you shelter in place
· Submitting does not guarantee publication.
· By submitting, you give us permission to publish your words, photos, and bio on 805’s website and social media as well as Manatee County Public Library System’s website and social media. Your own your words and photos and can repost them anywhere you’d like.
Submit up to 10 works of art at a time in a single submission. We review all art, including digital, drawing, painting, photography, and mixed media.
Before submitting, read our publishing agreement. By submitting your work(s), you are agreeing to the outlined terms:
I, the undersigned author/artist, confirm that the work(s) submitted to 805 is original, of my composition, and as of this date unpublished in any format including book, journal, magazine, website, or social media.
I grant 805 first world electronic rights to publish the work(s) online in a digital format. I grant permission for the work(s) to remain indefinitely on 805’s website, the Manatee County Public Library System (MCPLS) website, OverDrive ebooks website, social media and any other digital archive 805 might use.
I grant 805 the right to use my work in promotional materials including but not limited to print and digital adds, bookmarks, posters, flyers, business cards, email blasts, etc.
I acknowledge that 805 gives permission for the issue containing my work(s) to be freely distributed for educational purposes and printed by individuals.
I acknowledge that 805 does not monetarily compensate contributors for their work(s). I agree to any and all editorial alterations and abridgments including, but not limited to, re-formatting, grammatical correction, and cropping.
I grant 805 the non-exclusive anthology rights to my work(s) and understand that the work(s) might be selected for an 805 print anthology. I grant 805 permission to nominate my work(s) for literary and arts prizes and awards, and I understand that such possible nominations may result in my work(s) being published by awards committees and organizations and thus subject to their publication requirements, which is not established within this agreement.
I agree that if my work(s) is published elsewhere after publication in 805, I will cite 805 as the first publisher.